Welcome to our guide to the new tech training gadget, the Bluetens Sport Duo.
If your idea of muscle electrostimulation comes from sketchy ads in the back of fitness magazines you might have seen years ago, set those aside for now this.
Far from a gimmick, or con act, a new generation of ‘E-stim’ stimulation is here, promising some much-needed love for your hard-working muscles. Oh, and they’re backed up by a bulk of science too.
What are Blutens Duos?
These are commercially available pads that attach (painlessly I might add) to your muscles via pads. Once in place, a low magnetic current is generated and passed through the muscle.
Why would you want to do this?
If giving yourself a mild shock seems like a strange thing to do on your day off, here are some of the benefits.
- Soothes muscle pain – if you’re into strength training in your home gym, there are days when your muscles need a bit of TLC.
- Relaxation –
- Toning – Electromagnetic stimulation can be used as part of your training as well as the recovery, stimulating your muscles so they do more and you get more out of the time you spend training.
As well as sporty home gym applications, the Sport Duos can also be used for treating pain you have such as:
- Back pain
Quickfire facts about the Sport Duos
- They’re rechargeable – And you’ll get around 20 – 30 uses per charge.
- They’re safe – Electrostimulation is a favourite tool for physiotherapists and has been used for decades.
- There’s a smartphone app – A proper one, not some of the dodgy apps we’ve seen over the years. This one is simple and works well.
How do they work?
Electrotherapy is nothing new. I had it around 15 years ago for a really persistent injury to my upper leg muscles that I gave myself sprinting up a huge set of steps.
There’s not much to do.
Put the pad in place and find something to read. *
* Unless you’re using them as a training aid – more on that in a bit…
Simply put, electrotherapy is simple the use of energy as a medical treatment. StarTrek or what? It can be applied to a wide range of medical treatments.
The pads generate a low-intensity electrical current that stimulates your muscles. This current can do one of two very different jobs:
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical neurostimulation – you can see why they went with ‘TENS’). This kind of stimulation relieves pain and tension by stimulation the secretion of endorphins as well as severing the pain message.
- EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) – This second stimulation contracts the muscles for the purpose of both recovery and strength training. This is the one you’ll use while training to help build up your muscles.
Bluetens is actually a certified medical device.
The home-based electromagnetic therapy products, like the Bluetens Sport Duo, are greatly simplified products that anyone can use. They’ve got that modern plugin and play type look and feel to them and are designed to be user-friendly and simple to use.
Is this just a gimmick, or is there any science involved?
According to Spine-health.com
Electrotherapy includes a range of treatments using electricity to reduce pain, improve circulation, repair tissues, strengthen muscles, and promote bone growth, leading to improvements in physical functioning.
- Best Exercise Machine For All Over Toning
- Are Massage Guns Any Good?
- Why Are My Biceps Taking So Long To Grow?
- Why Am I Not Getting Bigger?
- Should I Use Steroids To Gain Muscle
What does the app do?
Like the original Bluetens, the Sport Duo works in conjunction with a smartphone app. It’s a very simple one to use, with a clever ‘wheel’ style design that’s simple enough that a child could figure it out.
Turning the top dial selects a body part eg. your neck. You can pick from up to 15 body parts.
Turning the bottom dial sets what you want to do.
Then you hit go and the pads will do the rest. You’ve got over 100 programs to choose from so whether you’re aiming to train your muscles or just need to get shot of some tension in your shoulders, there’s something here that will suit you.
Having and using the app is definitely easier than faffing around pressing a button a certain number of times so I’d definitely recommend using it that way.
Who are Bluetens?
Bluetens are a relatively new company, having started in 2015. They’re based in Paris (which explains why many of the reviews and videos are in French!)
We strongly believe that electrostimulation can help millions of people to ease their pain naturally, take care of their bodies, and improve their well-being in their everyday lives.
Where can you buy them?
You can buy your Bluetens Sport at Decathalon in the UK. Delivery is usually a day or two and shipping for this is £4.99.